Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween Curse?

Well, I decided (as usual) to get some poker in before work this morning. Perhaps it was a Halloween curse of some sort, but I had one of the worst sessions I have had in quite some time.

In 171 hands, I lost $119.25. That is over half my $1/$2 6-max profit gone in less than 40 minutes. Here is what that looks like:



I feel like I should have stood up at some point, but I don't know when. It was just the wrong end of big hand vs. big hand, over and over again. Two hands that stand out in my mind:
  • KQ on a AKK flop, lost to AA.
  • TT flopped top set, lost to AA when he spiked an A on river - that was a $46.50 pot.
and every pot I won was a small pot of the variety:
  • KQo, Flop AJTr, take it down with a single bet vs. 3 opponents on the flop.
I'll have to admit that I had been running well enough that in my mind I had the impression that this 6-max stuff was a breeze. I had already figured earning the $100 so I could take a shot at $2/$4 was going to be a no-brainer. Maybe this is a good grounding to remind me that it truly isn't as easy as I had led myself to believe. I just wish the 60 BB hit had been at 50/1. :-)

On the positive side (because I need to look for those positives after a session like that):
  • I am still running at almost 3 BB/100 at $1/$2 6-max even after this horrid session.
  • I don't think I went on tilt. I'll review my play to see if this is true, but I certainly didn't hit the swearing-monkey-tilt stage.
  • I don't feel totally demoralized like the last time I had a 50+ BB loss. Disappointed, yes. But not rolling it over and over in my mind and obsessing about it like last time.
  • I am still up money at every site, every level ($0.39 at $1/$2 FR!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!), and still up a chunk of change for October (amazing what you can do with a Poker Tracker export and an Excel Pivot Table in 5 minutes):



Admittedly, these tables looked MUCH better before this morning's bad run (my September/October profit was almost $350, and my 6-max profit was also well over $300), but I think I can still take solace in my results over time so far. I'll hope for better luck tomorrow, I suppose.....

No comments: