Wednesday, November 14, 2007

$2,500 and a shot at $5/$10 ???

Last night continued my streak of running crazy-well at Cake and I surpassed $2,500 with two days to go on my bonus.

So it got me to thinking - since I started on the site playing a bankroll of 250 BB ($500 playing $1/$2) and I've tended to add a table at a higher level when I hit 250 BB for that level (I started dabbling at $3/$6 when I hit $1,500), is it time for me to take a shot at $5/$10? Just the thought of it sounds crazy to me - I was grinding out for one-tenth those stakes not that long ago. It is also a psychological thing - being a red-chip game and seeing the sizes of the pots can be a bit offsetting.

But if I look at it rationally, the step from $3/$6 to $5/$10 is less drastic than the doubling of levels from $0.50/$1 to $1/$2 or $1/$2 to $2/$4. Plus, based on recent history of me peeking into the $5/$10 game the play is looser than at the levels I've been playing - VPIPs in the high 30's to low 40's rather than high 20's. Then again, the play is probably better and they can get away with playing more hands.

All that being considered, I've decided to carve out $250 and take a 25 BB run at $5/$10 if the conditions are right in the next two nights. What is the worst that could happen? I lose it all, generate about $20 worth of bonus, and still be sitting on $2,270? I think I can handle that.

If anyone wants to talk me off this ledge, they don't have much time.

No comments: