Monday, May 08, 2006

Miscellany

Well, I figure in tribute to my new reader from work (hey, Shane!), the "official" passing of 3 months since I started, just clearing a bonus, and running insanely well that I'd throw a hodge-podge of junk into a post:

I've changed some of the sidebar items to have a "permanent" home for my bankroll updates and any assorted statistics / trivia / leaks may be on my mind at the time.

Summary of my journey so far: started with $75 from an Instant Bankroll promotion, and played at the PartyPoker $0.15/$0.30 beginner tables. I have had some success at both freeroll No Limit tournaments and ring limit play, and have built my bankroll to over $1,000 playing (on average) about 10 hours per week. I am thinking about clearing at least a portion of my new bonus at $1/$2. At the very least I am bankrolled for it now.

From a previous post on personal variance, the last graph you saw of mine was a 120BB+ downturn. As a result of this downturn I posted on a question on the 2+2 message boards about what win rate was likely sustainable. As chance would have it, a very generous guy (hey, Chuck!) offered to review my hand histories. Since literally that moment on, I have been playing well and running well (click image to enlarge):



The very bottom of that downswing is where Chuck started critiquing my hand histories, and I have been running at nearly 5.4 BB/100 over the nearly 6000 hands since then.

I mentioned I may try to clear my next bonus (Poker Rewards, 25% up to $50, 10x) at $1/$2. One of the reasons I am even considering this is it would be a good experiment in using all the data I have gathered via datamining the Prima sites. I have almost 45,000 hands in my PokerTracker database at $1/$2, even though I have never played a single hand at that level. Pretty cool for getting a line on people you've never played against before at a new level.

My overall assessments of the poker sites - Party and Paradise are absolute fish havens, but the Prima skins are pretty well populated with a much higher percentage of good players. I plan on continuing to bonus-whore for quite some time, but could really see myself settling down ay Party and/or Paradise. The games are just that soft there.

Well, I told you all this was a random assortment. Shane, between myself, poker1eh, and my brother (QuadMan) I think we've all proven that money is here to be made online. It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, and you'll go through some emotional rollercoaters - far more than you would think over this "insignificant" amount of money. But if you're really interested and willing to put the time in to study and get better, it can be fun and profitable. Come join the club!

Next up, the $10,000 Poker Rewards freeroll on Sunday night. I sure hope my No Limit game hasn't suffered from playing limit for so long.....

No comments: